Friday, October 12, 2012

Day 196 - 3 night of Tim Burton

October 12th, 2012

Last night I started writing about Halloween specials that I really liked. I turn a few movies but I didn't really focus on them.  I mentioned two movies both Tim Burton works. There's a third Tim Burton movie I really enjoy so I decided to have a weekend of Tim Burton. 3 movies on the docket are Corpse Bride, Sleepy Hollow, and Nightmare Before Christmas. Without further ado, the Corpse Bride.

Now I have already written about this topic, so let's see what I already wrote.
     
 Corpse Bride was a real mind bender for me. The idea that society being so restrictive causes life to only start after death was very profound to me. You can see it in the lack of colour in the living world. It is also very apparent in the songs. They are much more lively and vibrant in the world of the dead. It also give a sense of class division, we see very little of poor class in the living world except as servants. They have no class division in the world of the dead and no one seems to mind. Although most of them seem to be servants, except the general, maybe it is saying they worked themselves to death and now get to live it up. So make the most of your life while you can.

        And time for  some new thoughts. Set design I mentioned previously about the colour or lack of colour, in this the sets are also very telling. You have a bar in the underworld. But we only have churches and proper estates are present in the living world. 2 completely different sets of circumstance, 2 completely different atmospheres. Again showing a divide between those living with enjoyment and those dead from all feeling. Funny that it seems only the corpses are the ones able to express themselves.

        Another stop motion classic, I enjoyed the use of the medium. So much is able to be done with the characters. Like a man split in half or a nose falling into the cake batter. Scraps  the dog is just 1 example of how stop-motion can bring to life even a skeleton dog. I mean is there anything scrap can't do? Final thoughts the costume design and colour choice are very Gothic in some ways. The dark tones, the shadows and the vibrant colour contrast, pretty perfect. The land of the dead sort of feels like what do we get if you walked in Tim Burton's brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment