Sunday, May 27, 2012

Day 58 – My New Precious!!!!! A Two Day Blog Event!


        As I mentioned in my last blog, yesterday I went to the Glebe Garage Sale. As I also mentioned yesterday, I came across several great finds. Therefore I would like to present two new additions in to my sewing collection. 

        A 1950's portable Kenmore and a 1940's Singer in the original cabinet. When I went to take pictures of these two beauties, I kind of went a little snap happy. To do both of these pieces justice I will be turning this introduction into a two day event. 

 
         Let me present my new Kenmore. It is a solid metal machine in a wooden case. It is extremely heavy so although it is meant to be easily portable I will likely set it up on a table and leave it stationary. I was told by the seller that it is a 1950's model. I seems to only have one stitch setting. It has a width setting as well, so I guess it has 2 stitches, straight and zigzag but that is about it. Oh it can sew through a mack truck, it is powerful little thing, shaking the house at maximum speed. This will come in handy when it I have several layers to sew through. Definately when I work with leather.


         Here is on upclose shot. A picture of the width gauge. It is used in conjunction with the nob. Loosen the nob and then slide the lever to the width you desire. The last picture is of the length gauge.
         This last picture is of a little silver lever who's function is a mystery to me. It seems to lower and raise the teeth that move the fabric (a.k.a feed dogs) I will have to do some research and see what it's exact purpose is. For 15$ I am extremely happy with my purchase. Tune in tomorrow for my introduction of the Singer.

No comments:

Post a Comment