Monday, January 23, 2012

Another day, Another dollar

        I know people mean it as a compliment when they tell me I am wasting my talent at my current job. That they can see me doing something else, being my own boss, owning my own yarn shop, writing for a magazine. Maybe just not working for the government. I know they mean well and aren't trying to be insensitive. It is always said in the best possible way, as encouragement. Its always meant to bring me comfort or maybe joy. Almost a “hang in there” cat poster in the flesh, meant to motivate. And it does but at the same time it's a constant reminder that the discontentment with my job continues to grow. Pointing out to me that people would pay good money for my goods is no longer a compliment to be treasured but a sore spot of “Where the hell are these people and why are they not paying my rent yet?”

         Okay I know I am whining. But I am frustrated and could use some inspiration on how to make a change. Several people are supportive of me trying to start my own business but I am even not sure how to do that right now. I guess I will have to start planning, see what I can come up with.

1 comment:

  1. I know how you feel. I'm a logic driven person (except when I'm way too emotional) so I'd recommend setting deadlines or goals for moving forward. Setting up an Etsy shop is really easy and at first can require a time commitment while learning the ropes.

    But I feel that if you are miserable at your work, than maybe that position is not a good match for you. Can you move laterally to a different role? That could help buy some time while you prepare for a different career.

    ReplyDelete