Friday, January 13, 2012

This Weekend’s Projects

        As I mentioned earlier this week, I plan on being really productive this weekend. But to be super productive you need, well, a plan. Some prep work that will allow projects to move forward smoothly. I guess the first step would be deciding what items I will be working on. That was easy. I am about half done the Gir doll(Gir from Invader Zim), that I am making for a friend. I am also about half done two star pillows for my sister-in-law’s kids.

The next thing I guess I should think about is supplies, do I have everything? Am I forgetting anything? If supplies are needed where can I buy them? I have everything I need for the Gir doll, except maybe a bit of grey yarn, but I am pretty sure I have a little somewhere. I know I have everything I need for the pillows, the stuffing, the thread, everything. I just have to preshrink the fabric I am using. Side note on thread, I only use Gutermann. I find it the best and most versatile. After thinking about supplies we should consider tools. Do I have the equipment I require to finish the projects? Crochet needle, check! Darning needle, check! Sewing machine, check!

Now let’s look at the items themselves. The Gir doll. I bought this pattern off of Erin Scull on Etsy link . Etsy is great crafting site where you can file all kinds of beautiful creations, it is amazing how many creative people are on one site. You can basically find anything there. If you can’t tell, I love that site. I believe it is still available for purchase, here is the link http://www.etsy.com/listing/65093032/gir-a-crochet-pattern-by-erin-scull?ref=sr_gallery_2&sref=&ga_search_submit=&ga_search_query=erin+scull&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade . (No Jessicas received money for this endorsement) It is a very step by step easy patter to follow, so if you love Gir it maybe the pattern for you. (Come to my room, Pig! Come to my room!) The doll is comprised of twelve parts from tail to tongue. As you can see from the picture after crocheting some assembly required. As you can see, I have all the bigger pieces made only a few smaller ones are needed then I will sew him together. It should only be a few more hours to complete him. 


As for the pillows, this is a little trickier, mostly because they have just been free form designed. I had a star pattern, courtesy of mikeyssmails and you tube, link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_vMJWWgyJo . Because this pattern uses a double crochet stitch and the utilizes holes to create the points of the star, you cannot simply sew two together and stuff it. That pillow would leak fluff, therefore an inner pillow is needed. For these two pillows, I have decided to use a flannelette in white. Since it matches both colour schemes. I made blankets that match but gave those to the kids at Christmas. I regret not getting pictures of the blankets before I gifted them, but the pillows are pretty much miniatures so I'm not too distraught.



Hopefully I will be able to post some pictures by Sunday of completed projects. Perhaps a little before and after assembly.

No comments:

Post a Comment