Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Sweater Coat

        I have thought long and hard about this and I have decided that after I recover I will be focusing on the the Sweater Coat, hopefully having it done by Sunday. I call it the Sweater Coat, even though it is made of micro-fleece(sweatshirt material), because it is suppose to be made up of upcycled or recycled sweaters, thrift store finds and Christmas present rejects. I also call it the Sweater Coat because that is what Katwise, the creator of the pattern I used, called it. If you end up liking the coat you can buy the pattern from her Etsy store, here’s the link http://www.etsy.com/listing/57955143/upcycled-sweater-tutorial-by-katwise-elf (No Jessicas received money for this endorsement). It’s more of a free form instruction guide than cut out pattern but if you have any sewing skills it will get where you want to go. 

Ah the Sweater Coat, honestly the style is more reminiscent of my early twenties (I tend to be a little more punk now a days) but there is something very appealing about it to me nonetheless. When I bought the pattern and sat down to read it over, excited at the prospect of a new project. I hadn’t sewn in a while and was feeling a little unmotivated. So a new project was just what the doctor ordered. 

I chose to do it in sweat material because one of of the principles of this coat is it upcycled. Usually from sweaters but I used sweat scraps. I have made several black hoodies last year from some friends and had loads of scraps, crazy scraps, scraps 'til Tuesday. So I used that along with a really nice dark grey and black stripe. 

         This is a process, a long process, I have already put about 12 man-hours on this coat. And part of the process is fitting. I was making this coat for myself and after about 8 hours of work I finally had it put together enough to do the first real fitting. That is when I discovered it did not suit my frame at all. This coat pulls in at the waist, mid-waist, not high, not low just mid, and that is the worst silhouette for me, I thought it was going to work but alas no. But at least now I do know what will and after this I will start again. The coat is still super cute just not for me. Luckily though, I know someone who will love it and will look gorgeous in. I have decided when I have finished the project it will be posted then mailed. 

         Since I have 12 hours invested already you may be asking how much to I have left to do? Well, a lot. I still have to finish the hood, add the belt, figure out the front closure and hem it.. I have not idea how much longer this it going to take.

        Well, it is hard to model and take pictures without a tripod, I don't have any images of the Sweater Coat, yet. I have no one who can model it for me and I no longer have a dress form. I use to, but it had an accident. My friend was helping me move stuff in the craft room in my old house and he knocked it over, then fell on it. Margo didn't survive (that was my dress form's name, yes her real name) and since rent and food are more important, I haven't gotten a new one yet. But is on my list, one with adjustable sizing. So suffice it to say I will take pictures when I figure out how I want to do them. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment