Friday, March 9, 2012

The Purpose of Retirement


        My friend's parents recently retired and are having a hard time adjusting, especially her dad. I don't really understand this. I would retire tomorrow if I could. But I have heard this so many times, retirement happens and that person doesn't know what to do with themselves. I wouldn't have that issue. I have so much I want to do!

        When I told this to my friend she responded, “Well of course you'd have no problem retiring, you have found purpose outside of work." And I realized she's right. I have finally found a purpose, well somewhat of a purpose anyways. My writing, my projects bring some purpose. That was a pretty amazing realization since I have struggled for so long with the concept of purpose. My purpose, namely my purpose in life. I have found some purpose writing this blog.

        If I didn't have to work full-time for some else to make a living, I still wouldn't live an idle life. My days would be filled with creating. So many people identify themselves by what they do. So many say "My work is my life." I guess I am trying to be able to say my life is my work.

1 comment: