Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Birds of Inspiration!

        Yesterday I wrote about how nature inspires me, specifically mentioning how the beauty of wildlife moves me. But I didn’t mention the one animal that inspires me the most. For those who know me it will be no surprise when I say Penguins. There are numerous reasons penguins inspire me, the majestic confidence of penguins, their grace in the water, plus they are snappy dressers. But mostly I find them fascinating and adorable.
        I love their versatility, of the 17 varieties of penguins only 5 are cold weather penguins. Most live in varying temperatures. Penguins adapt. They are very good at it. They are loyal and very family oriented. Penguins are one species that mate for life. This is more than we can say for most humans. They have tenacity and persevere even in the harshest conditions. They work together to keep warm when in cold weather, forming huge clusters, each taking a turn on the outside. They seem to show compassion, orphans are often adopted by eggless females.
        Aesthetically, I find them pleasing, short, cute, chubby shape. I love the combination of black and white, especially on African penguins which has striping on the chest. They are adorable waddling on land but in the water they possess a majesty few can claim. I remember watching a documentary when I was very little and wishing I could be as graceful. Now I am realistic and just hope to pet one, maybe gets a picture with one wearing a tuxedo jacket and bow tie.
       I always think a long flowing gown (in black) when I see them swim. The skirt would be a shimmering fluid silk and would swirl like waves when you walk. The top would have feathers obviously. There would be the smallest white detailing in the form of crystals, giving off light like drops of water. One day I will make my penguin gown, but then where would I go? 
 Here is a link to a great penguin video of Cookie the penguin, if he doesn't melt your heart you are a cruel, cruel person indeed! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wTWWjYTe1I

No comments:

Post a Comment