Thursday, February 2, 2012

Crafting & Approachability: As viewed by the masses.

        I’m not sure if any of you out there have noticed or experienced this, basically because I’m not sure if any of you craft in public, but I have found (and have dozens of instances as proof) that knitting on the bus makes you more approachable. That is sort of over simplifying it and making it too narrow in definition. This approachability extends to all craft in public. So basically crafting in public makes you seem more accessible to strangers. Seriously. And I think I know why. It is easier to strike up a conversation over a common interest. Basically, most people are genuinely nice and wouldn’t mind talking to you but do not have the chance because they don’t know what to say. The weather is not really a great conversation starter and OC transpo (the bus system in the Capital region) can only be bitched about so much. Honestly. When you see someone doing something that interests you I think it makes this leap much easier. 
 
I have had more random conversations with complete strangers over the past year than I ever had in my life, basically since I started knitting and crocheting on the way to work. I have encountered this while knitting socks, mittens, blanket square (funny story there) and crocheting stuffed animals. Most reactions are positive. I have been called an “artist at work”, talented and “crafty”. People will sit closer to me on the bus, just to get a better look. They aren’t afraid to ask what I am making or sharing stories about what they have done in the past or are currently working on. I personally have seen a girl sewing a sock dolls and I approached her, pointy needle and all. I ended up finding out she had an Etsy store and just like me, nothing presently in it :P. I met the Silver Hook while shopping for yarn at Michael's. Since the staff couldn't help SH offered her advice when I was trying to figure out Fair Isle knitting for the first time. I have also had a very few negative reactions. Please note the bus was mostly empty. I was crocheting an alligator for a Christmas present and had a bookbag which held my yarn on the seat next to me. (I now carry a side satchel which works much better. Sometimes two depending upon what I need to carry.) A guy came on and stood next to the seat I was in, remember that seats around him were completely free, so the guy behind me goes “Did you pay for 2 seats?” Snidely I might add.”Cause if you didn’t pay for two seats you are being rude.” The guy standing rolled his eyes. He didn’t mind, so what was that guy’s problem? Forget that guy. Maybe he didn’t get his Wheaties that morning.
I pet a bunny today. A yarn store down-town has a fuzzy little buddy who hops around. He is currently sheared and adorable. And super soft!! Any day where I get to pet a bunny is a good day. So here are some bunny pictures, not him but pretty cute still.

P.S. Happy Groundhogs Day!

1 comment:

  1. Last month I had two random conversations with knitters: one on the bus, the other while waiting for the show to start at the National Art Centre - really it must have been fate as we were seated one in front of the other, and we both had our yarn out! And of course, that's how I met you (btw, I'm Susan from The Silver Hook) :)

    I craft in public because it is an icebreaker and I want to live in a friendly neighbourhood and it helps me to introduce myself. And I crochet in public, because I crochet for work and it is a good reason to pass out my business card ;p -- and now that I think of it, here's my shameless plug: www.TheSilverHook.com - lol

    Also, most crafters are nice people and like to share ideas.

    Too bad about the rude bus guy - that's just his personality at that time. Know what my pet peeve on the bus is? When the bus is almost full and people sit in the aisle seat in the double seats to discourage having to sit with someone else.

    ReplyDelete