Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Insomnia

     Since this is a journey that I am on to find meaning I thought I might as well let you guys in on some of the hurtles. Well honestly insomnia is one of them. The biggest one. The worst one. For those of you who have no idea what insomnia is (lucky you),  Oxford's dictionary defines insomnia as habitual sleeplessness; inability to sleep. [Origin: early 17th century: from Latin, from insomnis 'sleepless', from in- (expressing negation) + somnus 'sleep'] Webster's defines it as prolonged and usually abnormal inability to get enough sleep. (Latin, from insomnis sleepless, from in- + somnus sleep, First Known Use: circa 1623) 
     So basically it means I have a hard time sleeping through the night. I usually get about 3-6 hours a night. So I am exhausted all the time. I am trying to not whine right now, but I am so tired. Someone who gets habitual insomnia like myself, we learn to cope. Like a bad back you get use to a certain amount of pain, aka sleeplessness. But then you go through rough patches. And right now it is a super rough patch. Likely because I changed my schedule so many times in the last year. Routine is the ally of sleep and I haven't had a regular routine since high school. And it's been a while. University didn't help I am sure, I always had a full course schedule as well as a full time job plus a side job sewing. Since university, I have constantly worked at least 6 days a week, with two to three jobs at a time. So no regular routine there. Now I do I finally do. After a decade of working, I include my University years here, I finally do have a regular schedule. But I guess I was so use to having an irregular schedule this regular one is killing me. I am so tired, so very tired. I am trying to stay peppy but seriously not happening. I have a doctor's appointment on Friday hopefully I can go to the Sleep clinic here in Ottawa so maybe they can do something.  But I have tried so many things I don't have much hope but we will see. 
Here are some pictures of sleepy baby animals!
I envy these guys!

1 comment:

  1. I hear ya! Plus if the insomnia isn't bad enough, there is the fear of repeat insomnia which inevitably leads to more insomnia!

    ReplyDelete