Thursday, February 16, 2012

Perspective

I think I have been holding myself back. Negativity, fear, confusion (at times) and a bad attitude have held me back from doing a lot of things that I have wanted to do over the years. But in the last few days I have really had a ton of perspective literally thrown in my face.
        First there was the passing of Whitney Houston, so young and talented. Despite the negative things you can say she really made the most of her gifts, sharing it with the world doing what she loved.
        Then I was walking back from meeting with friends and looked to my right and there was this homeless person. His sign read 'Fight Hobophobia' I thought at first is was homophobia and was happy to see someone openly making a statement but then I read it again. Hobophobia, and it hit me. They are victims of as much prejudice as  anyone and likely on a daily basis. Here I am hating my job and he doesn't have one.
        Then today I was on my way to work, knitting on the bus (as usual) when a woman sat down next to me. She introduced herself as Mary Magdalene, and she started telling me a story about her friend who, like me, was talented in knitting, crocheting, sewing and the like. This friend often lived on military bases, the wife of an air force pilot and  was very tall so unable to find clothing so she sewed and it made things better. Then she got arthritis, so she crocheted a popcorn stitch coat to make her hands feel better. Then she got cancer and lost her breasts, so she knits and sews and crochets all her clothes (underwear, bras complete with inserts, bathing suit and all) to make it better and it did.  She said to nurture my talents and they will see me through hard times, She held my hand as I said goodbye and said she would pray for me.
        Then there is Helene Campbell. That 20 year old who needs a double lung transplant and  is using her tragic story to help others. I heard about her on Hot 89.9 and then saw her on Ellen. She is so positive. She is promoting awareness for organ donation and helped get 200 000 people in Ontario to register. That's amazing.
        And I bitch on the internet because of insomnia. Well no more. I am inspired. I am motivated. I am ready to make a change. I am going to make goals,  positive goals and will work really hard to keep moving forward and hopefully I will make as much of a difference in the lives of those around me as I can. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment